Wednesday, November 23, 2011

And may flights of dragons sing thee to thy rest...

Y'all, it's a sad day indeed. Anne McCaffrey of Dragonriders of Pern fame, passed away at the age of 85 11/21/11.

Ms. McCaffrey meant a lot to me while growing up. Her books allowed me to escape the no good terrible experiences of puberty and awful middle school classmates to a world of wonder, chivalry, and most importantly, dragons. I cried when characters died and literally whooped and cheered when others were discovered at their talents. She set the bar in what I would read regarding any fantasy or dragonlore book, and none have matched her prowess for storytelling for me.

I highly recommend someone pick up some of her works, maybe starting with the Harper Hall Trilogy, as I did. The Masterharper of Pern will always be my favorite, with All the Weyrs of Pern following, but Moreta is also amazing. You really can't go wrong with any, to be honest, and while there is a timeline, it's easy and comprehensible to jump around the books.

Ms. McCaffrey, you will be so very missed, and I will always treasure the books you wrote. They stood as a rock for me in a very difficult time in my life and I am not ashamed to admit I cried for you when I heard the news of your passing.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone (because our Internet is still broken!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...