Tuesday, January 24, 2012

In which I play Photographer

This last Saturday, I took some pictures for save the dates for Steph and Jeremy over at Klo'ver. There is still a lot I have to learn about photography. Examples such as what lighting gear I apparently need now (speedlight vs softbox vs reflectors), and to make sure we call ahead to places, even bookstores and comic shops. Never would have thought them to be issues, since people take pictures in there all the time, but when a "fancy" camera comes out, I think it's time for people to get serious.

Well, it all worked out for the best at any rate. Keith's Comics on Mockingbird in downtown Dallas was more than willing to let us go nuts after we had been turned down from a few previous stores. The results of our endeavor landed us with some pretty sweet shots, if I do say so myself.





Can you tell I abuse the vintage filter I use for work? It just gives off this soft and dreamy feel I can't seem to get enough of, but I should probably tone it down a bit sometimes. I also think I might need to start shooting in raw more often, but the only computer I find I can edit raws on is my work computer, as CS3 is not equipped to deal with my camera's specific raw files (because there are different raws for each camera, who knew?) and the programs we use at work are a little out of my price range at the moment and we have Mac licenses. I do not use a Mac for personal use. 

...I'm rambling. But as far as correcting my images, I think I need some beefier files. It would probably also help to encourage me to shoot less, since raws take up WAY more space on a card than jpegs. For the time being, I'll probably just have to go between both my work and my personal computer to see how things work out. One's much faster than the other but I'm a little more familiar with different editing software than solely Photoshop.

...rambling. Again.

You can view the rest of the session on my Flickr, and tell me what you think. I figured out I needed some additional lighting and I should have figured out a way to get them not looking so stiff and posed, but I'm new behind the camera. Usually the magic happens behind the computer.

I also got a Loomis reprint as thanks, and bought myself a Jake hat. It was a good Saturday.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...